Sunday, October 23, 2011

Featured Author: J STERLING

"IN DREAMS" - by J Sterling

About the Book
Review
Author Interview
Win a Signed Copy!


"IN DREAMS" follows the story of college freshman Katherine Johns. When Katherine starts dreaming about a boy she doesn't know, her roommate Taylor is determined to find him. Convinced he must exist, Taylor is relentless... until she finds out exactly WHO he really is. The realization rocks the girls to their core and sends them down a path of unimaginable heartbreak. Follow Katherine and Taylor's journey through love, friendship and tragedy in the debut novel by J Sterling.

REVIEW for "In Dreams"

“In Dreams” is a feel-good, heart warming, love story with an unexpected twist, aimed at young adults. The characters are hip and sassy; and the dialogue witty and laugh-out-loud! By the third chapter, you already feel yourself drawn in by the honesty and raw emotions the characters exude; which makes this an overall fun read to be enjoyed on a sunny afternoon, next to the pool. 


BookBaby's  star-rating   4/5

MEET THIS WEEK'S FEATURED AUTHOR



JENN STERLING was born and raised in Southern California, (of which she is proud of!) and grew up in the same house her entire life.  She attended college at Cal State Fullerton as well as San Jose State and graduated with a degree in Radio/TV/Film. Jenn absolutely loves taking pictures and when not writing, can be found in the bleachers cheering madly for her favorite baseball team. For more on this talented author, please visit her beautifully-designed web page at www.j-sterling.com. Be sure to read her bio, which would surely leave you smiling.


INTERVIEW with author J STERLING


ABOUT “IN DREAMS”

Q: What sparked the idea for “In Dreams”?

A: Well the beginning of the book is an actual dream that I had and couldn’t shake off.  I literally had the dream OVER 10 years ago, and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it, the events, or the guy from it since.

Q: Who designed the cover and how much input did you have regarding the design?

A: I designed the cover myself!!!  J  I found a picture of a bench at the beach that I liked online and contacted the photographer (aaron@dedleg.com) to buy the photo.  Then I designed the cover around that original photo- changed it a ton, and photographed my nephew and a friend’s daughter for the characters you see sitting on the bench.

Q: How much of the book is realistic?

A: This book is fiction, but there is a lot of reality sprinkled in.  What specific parts, you ask?  I’ll never tell.  A girl has to have some secrets.  :)

Q: Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

A:  Both!  Definitely both! 

Q: Is there a message in “In Dreams” that you want readers to grasp?

A: Clearly, I believe in past lives and reincarnation, but I understand that some people have never even considered these subjects before.  I would love it if this story helped open people’s minds to things that may seem totally out there and impossible.  If books don’t make you think about things you’ve never considered before, what does?   

Q: What are your expectations for “In Dreams”?

A:  It’s not “expectations” really, as much as it’s “hope,” you know?  I hope that a lot of people will end up reading it, enjoying it, and wanting to read more from me and the characters.  

ABOUT JENN

Q: Where are you from?

A: Born and raised in Southern California!  

Q: What inspired you to write your first book?

A:  My dreams. I knew pretty soon after having the dream that I wanted to write and create a story that went along with it.  I never made the time to write it though and before I knew it, YEARS had literally flown by.  When I finally had the time, it was the first thing I did right after buying a laptop! 

Q: Do you ever experience writer's block and how do you deal with it?

A: Oh absolutely!!!  We aren’t machines, so we can’t just create, create, create all the time, you know?  I’ve had to seriously close my laptop and walk away from my story for days at a time and I can't come back to it until I can't stop thinking about, or am compelled to start writing in it again. Sometimes I'll sit down with every intention to write one book- and I'll find myself writing a completely different one, or NOTHING will flow at all. That's when I have to just STOP and not force it.  It's hard, because you want to be productive all the time, but you can't. Or at least, I can't.

Q: What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

A: I write all over the place.  I tend to write all the super exciting and heartbreakingly painful parts first.  Then I go back and fill in everything else and connect it all.  Most of the time, things completely change and I’m rewriting all over the place.  It’s complete chaos, but it works for me.  Ha!

Q: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

A: Complain about boys and how messy they are.  Haha.. just kidding (kind of).  I love to take pictures, bake, eat food that’s bad for you, travel, watch baseball, lose myself in movies, keep in touch with my girlfriends (they are all over the place).

 ABOUT WRITING

Q: Which of your books is your favorite?

A: That’s tough!!!  I’m sure it’s like asking which one of your kids, or dogs you like the best?!  Lol, but in all honesty, In Dreams is the only book that’s completely finished.  And it is my first book, so I think I’ll always have a soft spot for it in my heart.  Plus, I completely love my characters and their story. 

Q: Which of your characters is most/least like you, and in what way(s)?

A: I write the way I talk, so there are parts of me in ALL the characters (even the guys).  I started In Dreams trying to relate to Katherine the most, but ended up finding Taylor the easiest to write as “me,” if that makes any sense.  I had her react to things the way I would, and say things that I would say.  But she isn’t 100% me, because I don’t want people to think that.  She’s just the most like me personality wise (so clearly, she’s amazing lol!).

Q: What are your current projects?

A: I just finished a draft of Chance Encounters.  I’m about a third of the way done with Before the Dreams, which is the follow up book to In Dreams (it takes place in a lifetime before the one we just read with all the same characters).  I have 2 other books started.  One is a love story (shocking, I know) and the other is a witch/psychic/magic type book.  I can’t wait to write that one!

Q: Do you read reviews of your books? If so, do you pay any attention to them, or let them influence your writing?

A: Right now there are so few reviews, that yes, I’ve read them all.  I absolutely pay attention to them because if there is something that people hate about my book, I want to know if it’s something I can fix in the future.  I want to write the best books that I can, so any constructive criticism is totally welcome to me-  but it still stings and hurts to read.  And on the flip side, when people like what I write and say good things, well, that just makes me feel like good and inspires me to keep writing!    

Q: If you could choose one of your books to be made into a major motion picture, which book would it be and why?

A: In Dreams because I see it as a movie in my head anyway.  I wrote it as I saw it, you know?  And probably when I finish the witchy series- that would be rad!

Q: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

A:  Yes!  First of all, THANK YOU so much for giving a self published, independent author a chance.  Thank you for all the wonderful emails, facebook posts, etc.  You guys inspire and encourage me to keep writing and I sincerely appreciate the support and excitement that y’all give to me.  I’m thankful for you.

WIN a signed copy of "In Dreams"

Want to add a signed copy of this touching love story to your bookshelf? Just head on over to Jenn's web page at www.j-sterling.com and find the link on her blog. Competition ends 14 November 2011.

You can also purchase a copy of "In Dreams" from Amazon, GoodReads and SmashWords.

2 comments:

Wicked Leanore said...

I love this book. Hello, J. Sterling!
(Aka Bonnie Lea Elliott)

Shalini Boland said...

Sounds like just my kind of read :)

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...