Sunday, August 3, 2014

REVIEW: PERSONALITY PLUS by Florence Littauer




Title: Personality Plus
Author: Florence Littauer
Publisher: Monarch
Publication Date: December 1, 2004
Genre: Non-fiction
Reviewed by: Angie Edwards
My rating: 5/5

SUMMARY

Understanding the power of personality 
In Personality Plus, Florence Littauer gives you valuable insight for appreciating your one-of-a-kind, God-given personality. This engaging book also provides keys to understanding those around you. You'll learn how to accept-and even enjoy-the traits that make each of us so different. Through humorous anecdotes and straightforward counsel, Personality Plus guides you to improve upon your strengths and correct your weaknesses.





REVIEW

How much we can learn if we examine those traits that apply to our basic temperament and learn from them!

I very seldom read non-fiction, and even less than that do I read self-help books. That’s more hubby’s kind of thing. Me? I love my fiction. A few months ago at the office, a colleague was telling me about a book he and his wife were reading that teaches you to understand who you are and thus will help you understand others. The way he explained it, I was intrigued, and naturally I also wanted to read this book which sounded as though it might have life-changing powers. I have an analytical mind, and it just so happens that this book agrees that I have, so it should come as no surprise then that the minute said colleague borrowed me his copy of Personality Plus, I jumped right in. I even discovered what sort of personality hubby has (Peaceful Phlegmatic) and how it balances out with my own personality (Perfect Melancholy).

The book is infused with humor and the descriptions of each personality (there are four) are short and to the point. No unnecessarily long and tedious descriptions, and the author uses scenarios of her and her husband’s experiences (before and after they knew about the different personality types) which often had me smiling and to which I could easily relate.

Did this book change my life? Only time will tell. It was informative and interesting, and made me realize that there are things about us we simply cannot change. We can, however, adapt and compromise, but most personality traits, the ones we are born with, are nearly impossible to change. For instance: my personality type (Perfect Melancholy) cannot deal with chaos and disorder.  I’m idealistic, I like lists, I like to analyze problems and study people, and I want things in my life to be in a neat and orderly fashion. My motto: if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. I’ll never compromise on quality. Those are the things about myself I cannot change. I can change my bad habits, my negative thought patterns, and improve myself in little ways, but I cannot change the traits with which I was born. I always knew this, but now I have a firm understanding of what the difference is between personality and habits formed over the course of my life without realizing it has become habit. Maybe now I won’t be so hard on myself.

Another important insight I gained from this book is how my personality stacks up with hubby’s. His personality (Peaceful Phlegmatic) includes being easygoing and relaxed (which, to my dismay, might explain why we’re always late for appointments). According to Personality Plus he is also agreeable, good under pressure, easy to get along with, and doesn’t get upset easily. It sounds like we’re a good match, and I agree. Like any other marriage, we also have our quarrels and disagreements, but at least now I understand him a little bit better.

So there you have it. It’s probably not a life-changing read, but it might make a difference in your way of thinking if you take the time to understand the four different personality types. It also helped me to understand certain things about my children, and how to deal with their behavior. Final verdict: Personality Plus is without a doubt a worthwhile read.






Amazon     *     Barnes & Noble



Follow us with: 

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...