Thursday, July 24, 2014

MOVIE REVIEW: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS





Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Starring: Shailene Woodley & Ansel Elgort
Genre: Romantic Drama
Year: 2014
Spoilers: No

My rating: 5/5

SUMMARY

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


REVIEW

You guys!!! YOU GUYS!!!! Whether you’ve read the book or not, you HAVE to go watch this movie! Why? Well, mostly because if I got my husband and my teenage son to each shed a tear or two at the end of this movie, then I’m convinced pretty much everyone would enjoy it. They even thanked me for dragging them to the movies and making them watch it with me instead of letting them watch The Rise of the Planet of the Apes like they had intended to. So there, how much more convincing do you need?

Oh Alright, fine, I’ll tell you more. I’ve read the book and absolutely loved it. Like I said in my review – which you can read here – it didn’t make me cry like it did many others who’ve read it. But, heck, the movie made me bawl my eyes out like a little baby. I tried to hold it back, I just couldn’t. I was a nuisance disrupting the other movie-goers with my sniffling. And I laughed with everyone else at all the right moments (and so did my six-year-old) because the humor was done magnificently and came at you when you least expected it, even if you’ve read the book.

I had my doubts about whether they would manage to translate the book to screen in an effective manner which wouldn’t ruin the story. Most of the time the book is better than the movie, right? But I have to give props and a loud hallelujah here to everyone involved in making this movie, because they captured the story, the characters, and every element that made TFIOS such an unforgettable read, magnificently. The actors portraying the characters were chosen accurately, and their performances were nothing less than stellar. I couldn’t take my eyes off Augustus’s smile! (Yeah, I’m just flinging that in there). The only two characters which I wish they had chosen different actors for would be for Hazel’s mom, and Isaac. Isaac was my favorite character in the book, so I think they should’ve brought his character out a little more.

My favorite scenes in the book where Isaac egged his girlfriend’s car, and the eulogy reading for Augustus’s mock funeral were done brilliantly, and I loved how the text messages between Hazel and Augustus were displayed onscreen for the viewer to read. Attention was clearly given to every little detail, and I don’t feel that anything of importance in the book was left out of the movie. Even the ending was absolutely perfect! I couldn’t have done it better myself.

If you’ve had doubts that the movie might disappoint you and that it wouldn’t live up to the novel, I assure you it will be time worth spending giving the movie a chance. Cast aside any negative feelings you might have about the actors, and give them a chance to bring this gorgeous story by the king of YA, John Green, to life. I’m definitely going to add this movie to my collection once it is released on DVD!





Have you read the book and watched the movie? What do you think? In your opinion, did the movie live up to the magnificent book?

You can watch the extended movie trailer here.




Follow us with:
  

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...