Tuesday, August 12, 2014

3 MOVIE REVIEWS: THOR: THE DARK WORLD; WHAT LOVE IS & THIS MEANS WAR




Title: Thor: The Dark World
Starring: Christ Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston
Year: 2013
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Spoilers: None

My rating: 5/5

SUMMARY

Thousands of years ago, a race of beings known as Dark Elves tried to send the universe into darkness by using a weapon known as the Aether. Warriors from Asgard stop them but their leader Malekith escapes to wait for another opportunity. The warriors find the Aether and since it cannot be destroyed, they try to hide it. In the present day, Jane Foster awaits the return of Thor although it has been two years since they last saw once another. In the meantime, Thor has been trying to bring peace to the nine realms. Jane discovers an anomaly similar to the one that brought Thor to Earth. She goes to investigate, finds a wormhole, and is sucked into it. Back on Asgard, Thor wishes to return to Earth but his father, Odin refuses to let him. Thor learns from Heimdall, who can see into all of the realms, that Jane disappeared. Thor then returns to Earth just as Jane reappears. However, when some policemen try to arrest her, an unknown energy repulses them. Thor then brings Jane to Asgard.

See full cast here.


REVIEW

When I told my husband how much I enjoyed this movie, he was quick to tell me that I probably only enjoyed it because of Chris Hemsworth’s golden locks, to which I quipped: AND Loki’s locks! Of course he was only kidding, but having watched Chris play Thor in several movies, I’ve wanted to run my fingers through those golden rays of sunshine more than once...

*dreamily stares into space*

*
*
*
*

*screeching halt*

*
*
*
*

Wait! What am I saying?! Okay, yes, hubby might have a teeny tiny point there, but that’s not the only reason why I enjoyed this movie! First of all, I didn’t think I was going to like it. I watched it on my tablet while lying in bed one night. I ended up enjoying it so much, I watched the entire thing until it was way past my bedtime. It had a great story, lots of action, and I even laughed a couple of times. Thor’s golden delicious locks aside, I loved the stand-off between him and Loki, and the subsequent finale with the unexpected ending. And there was that one scene when that thing happened with Loki and I was like nooooooooooo, Loki, nooooooooo! Whyyyyyyy?!  Expect a few feels is all I’m saying.

Plus, there are rumors that Marvel is doing away with manly Thor and he will be replaced by a woman. If this is true, who knows if there will be another movie where I’d be able to drool over manly Thor’s bod and golden strands of silky softness again? You get what I’m saying, right? Anyway, if you’re in two minds whether you should watch Thor: The Dark World, then I’d suggest giving it a chance. I did, and I’m not regretting it. Seriously, it’s not just the hair!








Title: What Love Is
Starring: Cuba Gooding Jr., Anne Heche, Mars Callahan
Year: 2007
Genre: Comedy
Spoilers: None

My rating: 5/5

SUMMARY

When Tom comes home on Valentine's Day to a "Dear John" Letter from his girlfriend, he spends the rest of the night talking to his four best friends about woman, sex & love until five women show up and the battle of the sexes begins.

See full cast here.


REVIEW

One thing ya all should know is that I never read the movie summary to see what it’s about. With books I only look at the cover and title and then decide whether it looks/sounds like something interesting to read. But with movies, I just look at the title, sometimes the movie poster, and every now and then who the lead actors are before deciding whether I should watch it or not. As with many of the movies I’ve recently watched, I had no idea what this was going to be about other than love. Then at the start of the movie I noticed Cuba Gooding Jr stars in it, and I relaxed. I knew it was going to be good. And it was.

What Love Is was done terrifically. I loved how the first part of the movie is all about the guys getting together and having a debate about the pros and cons of falling in love, relationships, women, etc. The second part of the movie is when the women get together and share their thoughts and opinions about all the same issues the guys discussed. In the last third of the movie, both these groups get together and, well, things take an unexpected turn. The three things that made this such a great movie for me is that there were so many truths I could relate to in what was said about relationships and falling in love, because each character had a different argument for and against love and relationships. The second thing was that I actually laughed a lot because even though the issues that are being debated about are serious, it was done with a good dose of humor. Thirdly, I loved how it ended in such an unexpected and surprising way, not only for me as the viewer, but also for the most strongly opinionated characters.

I had so much fun while watching this movie, I couldn’t believe it when it was over. Ninety minutes just flew by! But you know what they say: time flies when you’re having a good time. Every actor played their part beautifully, and although there are no set rules for love and falling in love, I appreciated that I could relate to their arguments for and against love. Genuinely a great movie!




  



Title: This Means War
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy
Year: 2012
Genres: Comedy, Romance, Action
Spoilers: None

My rating: 5/5

SUMMARY

Two CIA agents, Tuck and Frank who are also best friends, have been benched because someone's after them. Tuck is divorced with a son whom he's not close to and Frank is a ladies man. Tuck decides to try and find someone so he places his profile on a dating website. Lauren, a woman also looking for a guy sees Tuck's profile and goes with him. She later bumps into Frank and he hits on her and she goes out with him. she's intrigued by both of them. When they learn that they're dating the same girl, they agree to let her choose. But both can't help but use their skills to keep tabs on her and each other. And also sabotage each others dates with her.

See full cast here.


REVIEW

This Means War is yet another movie I started watching without a clue what it was going to be about, or who stars in it. I was looking for mindless entertainment to distract from a tiresome day, and entertained I was. The first five minutes of this movie is action-packed and I thought it was going to be an action movie (for which I wasn’t in the mood at the time). Luckily I kept watching, and to my surprise found it was actually a romantic comedy! Aaaaaaaand, Reese Witherspoon, whom I absolutely adored in Sweet Home Alabama takes the female lead in this movie. Her performance is not as spectacular as in Sweet Home Alabama and some of her other films, but she still did a fantastic job playing a blonde Mary Sue who falls in love with two guys who happen to be best friends and colleagues and who also work for the CIA.

Now ladies, these two guys, who also fall in love with Reese’s character (Lauren), are eye candy of the highest standard. If I was in Lauren’s shoes I also would’ve had a hard time choosing which one to keep. The antics these guys perform in a bid to be her first choice is absolutely hilarious! Honestly, this movie caught me by surprise. The ending is....well...not what my choice would’ve been, but still it was a good ending. Girls, this one is a must for a ladies-only movie night sleepover! 





Follow us with:

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...