Sunday, February 3, 2013

REVIEW: "DIVIDED HEART" (Hayle Coven, #9) - by Patti Larsen


Title: “Divided Heart
Series: (Hayle Coven, #9)
Author: Patti Larsen
Publisher: Patti Larsen Books
Publication Date: October 18, 2012
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Reviewed by: Ellen Fritz
Source: Received for review from author
Ellen’s star rating: 5/5

SUMMARY

College Bound

I grunted from the weight of the suitcase as I heaved it out of the back of the van. What had I packed again? I didn't remember it being this heavy when I loaded it into the twin's car only seven hours ago.

Seven long and painful hours. I forced a smile as Esther and Estelle stepped up onto the curb, matching prim skirts and twin sets as much their uniform as their very comfortable looking shoes.

They didn't smile back, but through my connection to them from the family magic, I was sure their flat expressions had nothing to do with how they felt about me.

Well. Pretty sure.

Summer is over, and Syd is finally off to Harvard to take her witch training, leaving things back in Wilding Springs in her grandmother’s crazy but capable hands. The rush of excitement about her new beginning is quickly doused when Syd stumbles on a secret club taking advantage of normal students, including her friend Simon. An unhappy roommate, troubles with Quaid and his Enforcer friends and Liam’s sudden protectiveness makes it hard for Syd to fit in, let alone get to the bottom of what’s happening on campus. If only her Council Leader mother would listen…

REVIEW

Every time I read a Hayle Coven novel, I feel as though I'm visiting with dearly beloved family. This time Syd took me along to experience the first few days of her first year at Harvard University; and, yes, they do accept witches but we're not supposed to know about it. Surely now, with her mom as leader of the High Council and her dear Quaid training as an enforcer she should be able to settle down and have a good time? Unfortunately trouble in the form of old enemies with their mind set on world domination, her ghostly ex best friend and some rogue vampires are waiting to make her life difficult. Syd can never turn a blind eye when those she loves are in danger or being taken advantage of and once again she, together with Sassafras, several of their old friends, and her werewolf body guard, Charlotte, rush to the rescue.

To complicate matters Syd is having real and very painful boyfriend trouble; something she doesn't need on top of all the danger she faces. At least, in Divided Heart, Syd is back to her snarky, smart-mouthed self while her very amusing thought patterns and inner dialogue kept a constant smile on my face. Sassafras, the dearly beloved and equally snarky demon cat, is right up there with Syd, giving a helping paw and a comforting purr where ever it is needed.

I find the way in which Patti Larsen depicts the lives and typical problems of teenagers on the very brink of adulthood very interesting and highly realistic. Growing up can be a painful process and this is all too apparent from the trials, emotions and conflicting interests and feelings all the younger characters experience. 

For a reading experience filled chock full with action, suspense, humor and a healthy dash of sadness, I highly recommend Divided Heart as an absolute must-read. Please be sure to get the first eight novels in the Hayle Coven series before you read this; I promise you, you will not regret it. Thumbs up, a huge cheer and more than five well deserved stars to another wonderful book from this extremely talented writer.

 






PURCHASE LINKS


AUTHOR LINKS

Website    *    Facebook    *    Twitter    *    Goodreads    *    Amazon


No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...