Sunday, December 30, 2012

REVIEW: "SEVERED" (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, Book 3) - by Megg Jensen


SEVERED
(Cloud Prophet Trilogy, Book 3)
by Megg Jensen

REVIEWED BY: Books4Tomorrow

OVERVIEW

Reychel knows her gift of prophecy will lead to madness and now she is at her most vulnerable. The enemy army will attempt to sever her from everything she's ever known: her homeland, her friends, Mark, and her gift. Even at her weakest, she refuses to give up on her desire to end the war between the Malborn and the Serenians. Reychel would do anything, even come back from the dead, to conquer the enemy and reunite with Mark.

REVIEW

I read the first book in this trilogy the last month of 2010, and the follow-up much later in 2011. It took me some time to get around to reading this last instalment in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy as I felt slightly disappointed with the second book and I considered not reading the last book in the series. However, I’m really glad I read the last book, as it tied up all the loose ends and had a pretty good ending.

But, as much as I enjoyed Severed, it had the potential to be so much better. Not much was done in the way of world building, which is one of the things I enjoyed so much in Anathema. More focus was placed on Reychel and Mark and their love for each other, but I honestly couldn’t tell what she saw in Mark. He came across as someone who hot-footed around Reychel all the time and his only role in the story was as Reychel’s love interest – not much of a stand-alone character. I enjoyed the relationship between Krissen and Ace much more. Krissen remained the fun character from the previous two books, and Ace is a well-rounded, strong character who isn’t afraid to speak his mind. Pity he had such a small role in this book. These two characters are really what made Severed such an enjoyable read.

Reychel was again faced with impossible choices, and her strength of character was tested as the weight of her peoples’ fate rested squarely on her decisions.  The plot moved at a faster pace than it did in Oubliette and is filled with more mystery and revelations than in its predecessor. Anathema still remains my favorite of the three books in this trilogy and I felt the author never quite managed to recapture the magic of the first book, but at least Severed wasn’t the disappointment I was expecting it to be after having read Oubliette. I give it four stars as it exceeded my expectations and the finale was better than I hoped it would be.

 



READ more REVIEWS

“Severed” by Megg Jensen has 41 reviews on Goodreads. Read it here.

PURCHASE LINKS


AUTHOR LINK

Megg Jensen Facebook Page

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...