Sunday, March 4, 2012

SHOWCASING: "Baby It's Cold Outside" - by Addison Fox


BABY IT’S COLD OUTSIDE
by Addison Fox


OVERVIEW

After a frantic call, Sloan McKinley travels to the heart of the Alaskan wilderness to be there for her best friend, who's just inherited property in the small town of Indigo. The last thing she expects is to be lured by the town's matriarchs into their annual contest to get their grandsons married off.

But Sloan can't deny the appeal of the rugged local men-Walker Montgomery in particular. Soon she finds herself falling in love with the wild outdoors...and with one of Indigo's most beloved residents. There's just one question that remains: is the town's most confirmed bachelor ready to get caught?

READ the REVIEWS

“Baby It’s Cold Outside” by Addison Fox has 51 reviews on GoodReads. Read it here – http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10805543-baby-it-s-cold-outside

MEET author ADDISON FOX

  
Addison Fox can’t remember a time when words weren’t a part of her life. An avid reader across genres, she has a special place in her heart for romance. Addison lives in New York City. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com

INTERVIEW with ADDISON FOX

Q: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

A: I’ve always been interested in writing and have played with the idea of writing stories as early as my early teens. I got focused on writing after I got out of college.  I played around for about 5 years and then in 2002 found my local RWA chapter and that’s when I really saw my career begin to take shape. It took me 6 years after joining RWA until I sold, but those years were absolutely invaluable in the process of learning my craft as well as the business.

Q: What inspired you to write “Baby It’s Cold Outside”?

A: I read this wonderful blurb in a magazine side bar about a contest held every year in Talkeetna, Alaska, called the Wild Wilderness Woman Competition. It totally sparked my imagination and I just built off of that.

Q: What books have influenced your life most?

A: Hands down, Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume was one of the most influential books I read as a kid.  I’m an avid reader – I feel that’s probably the most essential tool in the writer’s toolkit – and so many books have touched me over the years.  I’d say the ones that have stuck with me on a deeper level include From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz, pretty much anything and everything by Nora Roberts, Paradise by Judith McNaught and a book I read by Sandra Canfield years ago called Night Into Day. It was this incredibly marvellous romance that was one of the first books I read where I thought, “Wow, I want to do that, too.”

Q: What book are you reading now?

A: I’m a “book in every corner” reader (a book near the bed, a book near the couch, a book in my purse, a book or two in my work bag, a book on the Kindle...), so....I’ve literally got about 6-8 going right now. I’m totally hooked on Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate and am reading Heartless now and anxiously awaiting the impending release of Timeless!  I’m also reading Copper Beach by Jayne Ann Krentz, She Tempts the Duke by Lorraine Heath, To Kiss a King by Maureen Child, How to Dance With a Duke by Manda Collins and Cold Vengeance by Preston & Child. I’m loving them all!

Q: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

A: Gail Carriger’s been out a few years but I can’t rave about her enough. She’s fun and clever and I just have fun reading her books. She’s so enjoyable and she’s the author I’ve probably recommended the most in the last few years.

Q: What would your ideal career be, if you couldn't be an author?

A: I don’t know if I’d call any career besides writing “ideal,” but I do have a day job that I enjoy quite a bit. I’ve spent my career working in advertising and enjoy the daily challenge of it.

Q: If you were to do your career as an author again, what would you do differently, and why?

A: I don’t know that I’d do anything differently. It’s extremely frustrating while you’re waiting to sell, but as I look back on it, I know I learned a wealth of things while waiting for that sale. Building my craft, learning about the business, persevering in something I truly knew I wanted to do – all those things were valuable and have helped now that I am published. I’m also fortunate – I came to writing relatively early in my life – I started writing in my early twenties and sold in my mid-thirties, so writing has grown organically with my life.

Q: If you can have dinner with one person, who would it be and why?

A: There are lots of people I’d love to have dinner with, but at this moment in time, I’ll go for my new favourite actor – Jeremy Renner!

Q: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

A: I do juggle writing around a day job, so I focus my big writing goals for the week over the weekend and then try to get at least 2-3 days of writing time in during the week.  Honestly, though, it truly varies by how busy my day job is and how many commitments I have.  Overall, I manage to a word count goal each week and I’ve found that works pretty well, allowing for flexibility by day, but forward progress overall by week.

Q: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

A: I enjoy spending time with my family pretty much doing anything.  I’m a big reader and a big movie fan. I also love going out to eat or having friends over and I’m a huge wine fan.

Q: Do you have a favourite quote you want to share with your readers?

A: I’m a quote collector so I’m not quite sure I’ve got a favourite, but I heard this one recently and it grabbed me:

“In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present."
- Lao Tzu, Chinese Philosopher

I love that thought – be completely present.

PURCHASE LINKS


AUTHOR LINKS




No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...