Friday, February 21, 2014

MINI ARC REVIEW: GRIM (Anthology) by Various Authors




Title: GRIM
Series: Anthology
Authors: Julie Kagawa, Rachel Hawkins, Amanda Hocking, etc
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: February 25, 2014
Genre: Fairytale Retellings
Reviewed by: Angie Edwards
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
My rating: 4/5

SUMMARY

Inspired by classic fairy tales, but with a dark and sinister twist, Grim contains short stories from some of the best voices in young adult literature today. 

Ellen Hopkins 
Amanda Hocking 
Julie Kagawa 
Claudia Gray 
Rachel Hawkins 
Kimberly Derting 
Myra McEntire 
Malinda Lo 
Sarah Rees-Brennan 
Jackson Pearce 
Christine Johnson 
Jeri Smith Ready 
Shaun David Hutchinson 
Saundra Mitchell 
Sonia Gensler 
Tessa Gratton 
Jon Skrovan




REVIEW

I don’t often read anthologies, but GRIM lured me in because a few of my favorite authors contributed to this compilation of fairytale retellings. My review for GRIM will be shorter than the usual length of my reviews, because one, I find it difficult to write reviews for anthologies, and two, because I’ll be sharing my opinion on this book as a whole and not on individual entries.

My initial impression of GRIM, after finishing it, was that some of the stories weren’t actual retellings of fairy tales and several of those that were, were rather watered down. I was slightly disappointed that a number of my favorite authors whose contributions I was anticipating, were not up to their usual standard of storytelling. If I had to rate each story individually, most would receive four-star ratings and the rest would fluctuate between three-star and five-star ratings.

Overall, GRIM is a decent compilation that offers a wide variety of entries sure to satisfy a diverse market of readers. Almost all of these retellings are void of the darkness evident in the original GRIMM tales, but certainly doesn’t lack in imagination. Some of these stories will delight, and some might fail your expectations (especially if it’s by one of your favorite authors), but regardless of my personal rating for each, I found a couple of gems in here that entertained me enough to want to recommend GRIM to each and every fan of fairy tale retellings. This is, in a nutshell, good old-fashioned escapism for all.






PURCHASE LINKS




Follow us with:
 

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...