Saturday, May 12, 2012

QUICK REVIEW: "Enemy Through the Gates" - by D.T. Dyllin


ENEMY THROUGH THE GATES
(A P.J. Stone novel, book 1)
by D.T. Dyllin

REVIEWED BY: Books4Tomorrow

OVERVIEW

P.J. Stone, like most eighteen-year-old girls, is a little boy crazy and somewhat obsessed with finding the perfect boyfriend. Some days she feels like she might be the last remaining virgin in her entire high school, and maybe even the entire tri-state area.

After a traumatic night at a friend’s party, P. J. realizes what she truly wants has been right under her nose all along. Bryn O’Bannon, her best friend and partner in crime since age five, is head over heels in love with her, and she feels the same about him.

But P.J.’s life isn’t that simple. She’s a member of a separate society that exists secretly among the rest of the world; the society raises gifted individuals to protect the world from interdimensional interlopers, and P. J. was taught to put duty before her heart. She is expected to choose a suitable mate in order to perpetuate the Seer line. Unfortunately, Bryn is a Guardian and is forbidden to date—let alone mate with—a Seer such as herself.

As if figuring out her love life isn’t complicated enough, P.J. begins having visions of a threat to her world only she is able to perceive. Now, she must concoct and execute a plan to avert world disaster while at the same time avoiding the dissolution of her love life.

REVIEW

They say you should never judge a book by its cover, but I’m sure glad I did. I read the blurb and decided that this book isn’t worth my time; but the cover absolutely stole my heart….and so did the book once I started reading it. I can honestly tell you I was hooked right from the start.

But let me be honest. Everyone who knows me, knows that I frown on books in which the protagonist is a hormonal dramatic teen who faints for the slightest raison d'être. The main lead in this book isn’t any different and loses consciousness plenty a-times, but at least she’s not hormonal or dramatic and I really enjoyed her sarcasm and feistiness. What also made it an unputdownable read for me is D.T. Dyllin’s impressive writing as well as a magnificent storyline. This lady knows how to sock it to the reader.

I read the print copy which is exactly 414 pages long, and finished it in less than three days. I took this book everywhere with me and spent every spare minute I had with my nose stuck in the pages. The characters are hip, sassy and quick-witted; and the romance gave my heart a good workout. Ever been in love with a dragon before? Neither have I, but there’s always a first time…
There isn’t much in the way of plot twists, but the characters are so darn loveable; and enough happens to keep the reader entranced and in suspense.  

“Enemy Through the Gates” was a wonderful indulgence and is definitely a book I’ll read again in the future. I highly recommend it to every fan of the YA genre, and as this is the first P.J. Stone novel, I’m eagerly looking forward to reading all the rest of the books in this series.
D.T. Dyllin - consider me one of your many new fans!




READ more REVIEWS

“Enemy Through the Gates” has 10 reviews on GoodReads. Read it here - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13507411-enemy-through-the-gates

PURCHASE LINKS


D.T. DYLLIN on FACEBOOK

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...