Saturday, November 19, 2011

Quick Review: The Conduit by Stacey Rourke

THE CONDUIT
by STACEY ROURKE


REVIEWED BY: Melissa




OVERVIEW
The Conduit is a mystical, YA fantasy tale involving an ancient Irish myth, four special humans with superhuman powers and an evil demon that can morph into any animal including a fire-breathing dragon.

Not only is The Conduit of the caliber of the Twilight Series with a teenage love story, it has a sense of humor and characters that come to life on the pages.

REVIEW
I have been reading for {cough cough} well over twenty years now. I come across books that I'm in love with and books that seem like I'm just re-reading something I've already read, even though I haven't. Every once in awhile I come across a book that's very different, and those are the ones I will sing my praise. The Conduit by Stacey Rourke is that book. The comedy in the book is very similar to one of my favorite shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This book has it all! Sarcastic comedy, a little romance, and a great fantasy plot that is new to me!

The Conduit is the story of three siblings, Celeste, Gabe and Kendall. After the death of their father and a series of break-ins at their home, their mother sends them to live with their Grams in Gainesboro, Tennessee. It is there that Celeste finds a statue of a Gryphon. After the statue samples her blood there is a series of odd events for all involved. Celeste, the main character, has to go to Hank's Garage to pick up a spare tire for her truck. Since no one will give her a ride back she needs to roll the tire home. Here is an excerpt from the book, a sample of the humor:
Hank's entire crew watched me out the window not even bothering to hide their laughter. Could even one of them offer me a ride home? No way! Turns out chivalry isn't dead, it's just busy laughing and pointing. It's on the way home, rolling the tire, that Celeste meets Alec, a soon to be romantic interest who unknowingly gets twisted up in the drama that the siblings bring. He also saves Celeste's life after she meets Alaina, a bird who turns into a woman, and falls and receives a severe head injury, which heals itself. Alaina is their guardian angel, of sorts, there to help the siblings deal with their new powers and to be the link between them and the Gryphon.

Not long after meeting Alaina Celeste's empath abilities start, Gabe almost doubles his body size and Kendall flies. Now the siblings know that something weird is going on and attempt to find Alaina. It's also now that they learn they are the chosen three. Celeste is the Conduit, Gabe is the Protector and Kendall is the Guardian. All have their own super powers to save the Gryphon, and the world, from Barnabus an evil ex-soldier turned demon.

Intrigued? Great! It really is a great book, and with a cliffhanger ending I know that another book must be coming, to make this a series. Before I go, I'll leave you with another quirky excerpt, to whet your appetite for humor:
Demons are predictable. You know they're going to try to kill you and they don't disappoint. In the heat of battle, they aren't going to stop and say, "You know, this just isn't working out. It's not you, it's me. I just think I'd like to try to kill other people. Maybe we can just be friends?" 

MELISSA'S STAR RATING:  5/5

"The Conduit" by Stacey Rourke can be purchased from - Amazon.com; SmashWords and Barnes & Noble (links to the left of this page)

No comments:

TIME-OUT!

I’ve been an avid blogger and reviewer since October 2011. It has changed my life in so many wonderful ways! I’ve met other reviewers ...